Travel With Kitts

51 Darkes Lane
Potters Bar
Herts EN6 1BJ
01707 655567

Confused about what Brexit means for your holiday?

Have you been left bamboozled after the months and months of Brexit news? Do you know how Brexit has affected you when it comes to your European holidays and travel?

Hazel Bryant, Director of Potters Bar travel agents Travel With Kitts has given us some practical advice for holiday makers.

One of the most important things to consider when booking a holiday is ‘holiday protection’. Customers who book a package holiday with a UK travel company enjoy the most comprehensive consumer protection: if you book a package, your holiday will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, meaning you have a right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided. The best way to protect your holiday is to book through your local travel agent – it is the travel provider’s responsibility to make sure your holiday is provided and to offer an alternative or refund if it cannot be delivered. Booking with a local travel agent gives you this invaluable peace of mind and allows you to travel with confidence.

PASSPORTS – Check the date your passport expires. When travelling to the EU after Brexit, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your return from an EU country.

You should also check when your passport was renewed. If you renewed a 10-year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your passport’s expiry date. These extra months over 10 years will not count towards the 6 months that must be remaining. 

If you need to renew your passport you may wish to do this sooner rather than later, in order to make sure you have it in time for your holiday or travel plans.

TRAVEL INSURANCE – Once the UK has left the EU, your access to healthcare when visiting an EU country will change. 

Previously a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allowed any EU citizen to access state medical care when they were travelling in another EU country. Now that the UK is no longer in the EU, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid.

“We have always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance. It is important that whenever and wherever you travel you have adequate travel insurance which covers your specific needs, including any known medical conditions or activities you plan to do. It is also worth checking the details of the policy in order to understand the level of cover you have and if any cover is provided around travel disruption including delays or cancellations, as policies do vary.” states Hazel from Travel With Kitts. 


DRIVING LICENCES – Previously when driving in the EU you didn’t need an additional licence to drive in the EU as long as you held a full UK driving licence. This has now changed.  UK travellers looking to drive in the EU after Brexit may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit.

More information on how Brexit has affected European holidays can be found on the ABTA website:  

Alternatively, you can pop into Travel With Kitts, on Darkes Lane, to discuss these issues with one of their travel specialists. 

Information correct at time of going to press (5/4/19)

holidays, travel, bespoke experience
Travel agents

Kitts Travel - for your ultimate holiday experience

To get in touch with Eye Media Publications, please use the details below or fill in our contact form.


0845 051 4649

Postal address

Eye Media Publications LTD
PO Box 438, Potters Bar,
Herts, EN6 9BW

Contact us

All fields are required.


Close contact form